Frequently Asked Questions

How can I apply for a connection?
You can apply for a connection by contacting our staff at offices distributed in different willayat of our regions from 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM

What are the documents needed to apply for a connection?
Some documents are required to apply for a connection they are the Kroky, Muolkia, a letter from Municipality, a copy of ID card as well as a copy of electrocution license

How can I get my bill?

You can get your bill by contacting the agent of Majan, ONEIC through there offices in our regions

In case of emergency, who shall we contact?

In case of any emergency or electrical failure or even complaints please call  80078000

How can I reduce my consumption?
The consumption can be reduced by using electricity saving devices and by shutting down the unused devices.